Latest on the list of ailments? A somewhat swollen area right at the angle at the back of my lower jaw, on the left side at the end of the jaw bone and before my ear lobe. It doesn't hurt on the inside of my mouth, no teeth hurt or anything like that. I went to a Nighttime Pediatrics doctor early yesterday evening to get it checked, just to rule out a possible allergic reaction to the doxycycline. She didn't know what it was, but I had a slight fever that I didn't know about. Gave me a massive dose of prednisone to reduce the swelling (since I'm already on antibiotics) and told me to see my primary doctor on Monday. Nobody seems to think its tick related, despite things I read like this from the Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation:
Lyme Disease ( commonly misspelled as Lime or Lymes ) symptoms may show up fast, with a bang, or very slowly and innocuously. There may be initial flu-like symptoms with fever, headache, nausea, jaw pain, light sensitivity, red eyes, muscle ache and stiff neck. Many write this off as a flu and because the nymph stage of the tick is so tiny many do not recall a tick bite.
or this from the CDC:
The first sign of infection is usually a circular rash called erythema migrans or EM. This rash occurs in approximately 70-80% of infected persons and begins at the site of a tick bite after a delay of 3-30 days. A distinctive feature of the rash is that it gradually expands over a period of several days, reaching up to 12 inches (30 cm) across. The center of the rash may clear as it enlarges, resulting in a bull's-eye appearance. It may be warm but is not usually painful. Some patients develop additional EM lesions in other areas of the body after several days. Patients also experience symptoms of fatigue, chills, fever, headache, and muscle and joint aches, and swollen lymph nodes. In some cases, these may be the only symptoms of infection.
I guess it probably doesn't matter long term, since I am taking antibiotics which should clear this mess up in a couple of weeks, but it bugs me short term that the doctor seemed more interested in a *possibility* of rosacea on my face than in a sore, swollen gland or whatever it is which seems like a lot more serious concern to me. I bet its probably all due to a bit too much sun exposure while taking the doxy anyhow. I'z more sensitive now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment