Monday, August 24, 2009

First day in the 3 1/2 year old room

The daycare center grouped up the kids who are close to four years old whose birthdays fall after the school year cutoff day. A is one of them. This regrouping is to avoid keeping him in with kids who are way younger or putting him in with kids up a year and a half older. His first day in the new classroom with a new teacher was today. He did pretty well, from all I can see; goodbyes were easier than they have been.

*****tangent*****

He was having separation issues right after getting to stay home all week because of that virus/fever. We started a new "goodbye" routine in the classroom. I have to fill my hands with kisses and put the kisses in his pockets. Then I fill them with hugs, and put them in his pockets. Then I fill my hands with I Love Yous and I Love You Very Much's and put them in his pockets. That way he can "reach in and grab one" any time he wants one. Then its a hug and a kiss and a thumb's up, and we tell each other to have a good, good day.

*****************

The class made kaleidoscopes today. He would have been happier if his buddy Co- was there, but Co- is on vacation this week.

1 comment:

A. Diane said...

That's a nice transitional good-bye. Great idea.