I just finished ripping through the available Sookie Stackhouse books (1-9). Book 10 comes out May 2010. I read them because I'm a big fan of HBO's "True Blood". The series is based on these books, but is enough different that I'm pretty sure reading the books won't majorly spoil the television program.
I like some characters better in the books, some better in the tv show. Vampire Eric Northman absolutely rocks in the books. Tara and Lafayette are much more prominent characters in the tv program, and I especially like the tv portrayal of Lafayette. TV Tara seems to be a bunch of other book characters all rolled up in a new lump named "Tara".
I'm pretty divided about which format is telling a "better" story -- like I said, they're different enough that they're almost not the same story, and they're both good. Its almost as if both were the end result of a writer's workshop exercise, using the same basic plot points and key characters, with everything else up for grabs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I recently blew through all of the Sookie books too... and then reread them! I agree with everything you said. The one thing I don't like about the books compared to the show was that other then Bill, Sookie and Eric, the other characters are not fully developed. I also really didn't enjoy the Niall fairy storyline.
I read the Twilight books 6-12 months ago and at the time didn't really care for them (other then the fact that how can books that get teens to read be bad?) After reading the Sookie books I cannot for the life of me (no pun intended) figure out why anyone would prefer the Twilight vamps to the Bill & Eric!
I know what you mean about the Niall story line. It seemed like a throwaway.
I think Ms Harris does a decent job with Sam in the books -- he's not too sketchy. Again though, he's not the same "Sam" as in the tv show.
I want Sunday night to be here, but it's going to be a long wait until next season.
I just watched the first season on DVD of True Blood- it was really gross- made me have some sleepless night time hours- the books are great, but the visual on the HBO is more than I can handle- your girls are strong!
Post a Comment