The rules: Dress like a character in a book for children. No masks, no weapons, no props. No superheroes. Child must be able to use the bathroom independently. Child must be able to function in a normal school day.
The solution: Robot costume. There are many books about robots. His current favorite is the Backyardigans "Robot Rampage"
Materials used: large paper grocery bag (for the rectangular shape), two rolls of sparkly silver Duck Tape from Michael's, one roll of red Duck Tape, a thick tipped Sharpie, and a Costco Trail Mix box.
I cut all the way up the front of the paper bag to create an easy way to get the costume on and off. I cut out a preliminary neck hole. I covered the bag with Silver Duck Tape, cut out some arm holes, and adjusted the size of the neck hole. I created tabs for the front of the costume, putting velcro tape on the back of the tabs so that the costume could easily be opened and fastened shut by the kid without help. I cut up along the corner edge folds of the bag to make bottom flaps so that sitting was possible. A declined further embellishments. I offered to put on a display screen and some button shapes like on a remote control, but I was told "it will ruin [his] act." Then I covered the box with silver Duck Tape and put red circles on the "ears".
No comments:
Post a Comment