Saturday, March 15, 2008

Are boys called fashionistas too?

Today's plans all got tossed in the air when the Young Gentleman decided he wasn't going to stay in his room last night. He got up once every couple of hours and came into my room to "hug Mommy". Daddy kept putting him back in his room, but that didn't keep him there. I'm really reluctant to put anything on the door that will keep him stuck in there, but I guess its really no more trapped than being in the crib. Mommy just has to get past the mental block, thats all. Don't worry too much about him wandering; there is a very securely attached gate that blocks off the top of the stairs, and entry to the bathrooms are protected by white plastic knob covers. The worst that can happen is that he actually finds his way to my bed and manages to climb in without anybody noticing, so that a while later little feet push me to the edge of the bed and I also somehow wind up without a pillow. Just sayin'...

Anyhow... he made up for lost time and slept till 930. Then he didn't want to change clothes, just eat breakfast. That was ok, except after breakfast he was still adamant about not having anything (including his diaper) changed. I can live with him wearing his same pj's 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but not the same diaper. I have some standards left. So we wrangled and wrassled and eventually got him to sort of almost cooperate, but by then we were running really really late. I still dropped him off at Gammom and Poppop's for a couple of hours, but by the time I got out of there the last WW meeting was mostly over, so I bailed out of it. I picked up a subway sub for lunch, grabbed comic books from the comic book store, then went to Arundel Mills.

I was supposed to be buying something for myself, but wound up spending all my time in Oshkosh Bgosh and Carter's, as they were having some rocking sales. I picked up a bunch of really cute shirts -- A already had a bunch of tees, but nothing with collars. I found some nice polos and some plaid cotton button up shirts, and more t shirts because they were too cheap and too cute to ignore. I got all of them and him home and thought I'd entertain myself by asking the Young Gentleman if he liked or disliked the things I bought. With one shirt after another, he said "I doan wike it" until -- the fire engine shirt. "I wub it!" Hmm. The big crane shirt? "I want wear it!" The polo shirt he didn't like until I pulled it forward again and pointed out the teeny tiny digger embroidered in blue on the chest? "A digger! I wub it!" Sense a theme here? He wasn't as enthralled with the surfer theme polo (brown with surfboards marching across the mid chest area) as I was, or with the very trendy hawaiian print swim trunks I picked up last week. Guess I need to find some with pictures of old cars carrying surfboards in order to please my motor-fashion-happy fool. If cousin E's daddy wants another motorhead apprentice, I know where one might be available. :)

so for some cuteness, just to make up for the wrangling and wrassling story above:
Yesterday, as I was picking him up from daycare, a police officer was chasing some teenaged boys who were screwing around back in a large wooded area behind the daycare lady's house. They left without incident, and the officer was getting to his car just as the boy and I got to ours. I said hello, and remarked that A would probably die of happiness if the police car lights just happened to be turned on. The policeman smiled and said "I can do that", and as he pulled past our car, he did, and whooped the siren once too. A beamed with delight and waved hello.

No comments: