I was the mother of one of "those" children today. You know, the ones that start throwing a fit in a public place, carrying on as if they have fire ants in their britches, while their Moms look as if they wish they could sink into the floor and disappear.
Today was Mom's birthday. Thank goodness we were in the not-quiet-at-all Red Robin restaurant. A dropped a french fry on the floor, and dove down after it. I was not about to let him eat off of that floor, so I confiscated it, and the waterworks and screaming began. His, not mine... He stayed under the table crying for at least 5 minutes. It felt like 5 hours. I would have taken him out but I was seated on a bench seat, and the physical contortions it would have taken to get under the table and get a resistant toddler out was just not going to work, so I had to let him shout it out. It was gruesome.
In his defense, he was tired -- it was before his naptime, but he had fallen asleep on the car ride over. He was also hungry. He asked for mac and cheese but didn't want it once he got an eyeful of his cousin's corn dog. Then he wanted a hot dog and wouldn't touch the mac and cheese, so by the time he got something to eat that he _would_ eat, he was really hungry.
He started to have another meltdown just before we left, so I bolted away from the table with him before he could go back under the table again. He was entertained by the free balloons in the store entrance, and that fixed things. Everybody else left pretty quickly after we did -- I really hope they were ready to go, and not just leaving because I had fled the scene with Count Crankula -- and he fell asleep in the car within 5 minutes of leaving the parking lot. He slept until about 4:15, so he must have been really tired. It was a long nap. He woke up in a decent mood, and we ate outside again, which he really enjoyed. The cat was happy too, since we let her out into the yard. Lee's folks got here a bit after 3, so we all ate grilled chicken together.
------SIDE NOTE---------
I'm feeling better than I have been, but my ears and cheeks are still stuffy feeling, and I'm still putting rainbows of color onto my Puffs tissues... 3rd dose of Levaquin was tonight, so I've been on antibiotics for 48 hours. Things should improve soon.
------SIDE SIDE NOTE-------
I haven't taken a decongestant in years; I thought I couldn't because of my thyroid issues. Apparently that rule only applies to folks with overactive thyroids. I go the other way. Anyhow, I'm taking Claritin-D, the one with pseudoephedrine in it and wouldn't you know it, I lost weight without doing a damned thing. Normal people would say "woohoo" but it really ticks me off when I work and work and the scale doesn't move, and then something like this happens that makes it all look so "easy".
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My birthday lunch was great! It was the greatest gift having the entire clan together (briefly but together)and especially the boys - best gifts I have ever received. A didn't cause anyone to leave sooner than normal. You had two options - let him cry it out or let him eat the fry. Sometimes it seems easier letting them eat the dirt but you held your ground - and I'm proud of you.
On the other note: Sudafed can cause you some problems and it is best that your doctor tells you what decongestant is safest for you.
Gam Mom
Post a Comment