Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tangent: Good Karma Day

Today is my son's 2nd birthday, but I still went to work for a little while because GamMom and PopPop volunteered to spend time with him. Before I even got out of the house, I was frustrated because I couldn't find my key ring with my car keys and my house keys. I wound up taking my spare car keys and asking my mom not to lock the house so I could get back in later on.

On my way into work, I stopped to buy some cupcakes for this evening. I wanted to stick some candles in one so that Junior would have something to blow out on his birthday. he'll be getting his real cake on Sunday when we have a small family party. Anyhow, almost as soon as I went in the grocery store, I saw that a starling had found its way into the store and it was being chased around by several store employees, including the manager. At one point they had the thing cornered, but they were hooting and flapping so much (and not really working well as a team) so the bird freaked out and flew away. I went on about my business, got what I came in for, checked out, and tried to leave. I couldn't. The exit was locked because the bird had found its way all the way to the entrance atrium, and the exit door opens into that area. The guy in the area saw me and pushed a button to let me out of the store. Once again, there were several people rushing the bird, causing it to flutter all over the place. One guy kept opening the automatic door then letting it close before the bird had a chance to get out. I said "Let me try something." I looked at the bird and said "If you stay in here, you're going to be killed by exterminators. i'm going to open a door, and you're going to leave, okay?" Then I told them to stand still. I stood in front of the electric eye for an exit door, and kept it open. What do you know, but the bird flew right out. He didn't have a bunch of people jumping up and down scaring and confusing him!

So I left, happy at my small good deed, and a few minutes later stopped to get gasoline because I hate driving on a half empty tank in really bad weather. I'm always afraid of getting stuck in a traffic jam and running out of fuel. I tanked up and some guy approached me. He was out of money and out of gas, and was trying to get somewhere 40 miles away. Something made me believe him, so I gave him enough to buy two gallons of gas. If he gets 25 mpg, that should get him home, if he wasn't selling me a bill of goods.

I get to work, strip off my coat, and am explaining the events of the day to a co-worker when my hand falls upon... my lost keys. In my sweater pocket. A sweater I didn't wear yesterday. I have no clue how the keys got there, unless I did it subconciously this morning, but I swear I checked all my pockets before I grabbed the spares. I think I got rewarded for being a nice person.
Tags:

No comments: